Tuesday, November 15, 2011

RemembeRED - Pivotal Conversations

I guess I have been a bit obsessed with my relationship with Mr Cool lately... We are fast approaching our 15th Wedding anniversary and it has me reflecting about all sorts of things. It seemed fitting to use this conversation.... 




Pre-Proposals....

Mr Cool and I were enjoying living in the same city again, being at the same university was icing on the cake. It was a heady time of seeing each other a lot more and our seeing our relationship growing stronger and stronger.


"Wow, look at that! They have emerald rings on sale at the jeweller!" I really didn't mean to say it out loud, but perhaps I was testing whether Mr Cool was serious about recent talks about getting engaged.


"I think we need to sit down for a bit," Mr Cool seemed serious and quiet. "I need to ask you something. I want to look at rings with you, but I need to know something first."


My head began racing, my heart started thumping. On the one hand, I was so excited that Mr Cool was about to ask me to marry him, but on the other, I didn't want to be asked in a shopping centre!


He took both my hands in his. "Now, listen carefully. I do want to marry you, but I need to know that if I ask you to marry me, which I am NOT, will you say yes?" 


"Oh my goodness, are you asking me to marry you! Oh my goodness!"


"No, you aren't listening. I am not asking you to marry me. I am asking that IF I asked you to marry me, would you say yes?"


I am not sure of my actual response, it may not have even been actual words, but we then made our way back to the jeweller and selected a ring. I really wanted an emerald ring. Emeralds are my birth stone and I just loved that they were not diamonds {in the 1990s being different was important}. 


I look at my ring often. It is not encrusted with diamonds. It is quite simple. It is exactly what I wanted. If I had the choice of all the rings in Tiffany's or the one Mr Cool bought me on that day, I would still choose mine. 



Recreate a pivotal conversation with us this week. Remember, this is memoir.You can only record what was actually said. Save the bon mots and imagined snappy retorts for fiction.  Let’s shoot for 300 words.



5 comments:

Life Love and Hiccups said...

ohhhh that is really sweet and I love that he involved you in the ring choice. I love Emeralds too - fabulous choice hun :) xx

Galit Breen said...

Such a sweet moment! I love how excited you were (and still are!) and wowsa, yes- being different was important in the '90s- love that!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you two are crazy about each other!

Nicely written. You showed Mr Cool's and your emotions very well in this post.

Justamum said...

So sweet! Now I want to know how the proposal went!!

Mihee said...

so precious, and really touching!

Post a Comment

Commenting is the COOLEST thing you can ever do.... If you want to be truly cool - leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...