I come from a long line of coconut lovers. We used to make 'Coconut Loaf' when we were kids which was basically coconut, sugar and milk baked in a loaf tin, delicious with butter. My sisters and I used to love going to the milk bar where Mr Cool used to work, to order coconut milkshakes. I love it - much to the disgust of one of my aunties who is very vocal in her dislike of coconut!
One Sunday afternoon a month or so ago, I felt like baking and I felt like coconut, so I Googled 'Coconut Cookies' and this is the recipe I found. They were really yummy and really quick and easy.
We gobbled them up for afternoon tea while they were still warm, the kids were very excited that I had made enough for them to take some to school the next day. That is the sign of a good biscuit/cookie!
Chewy Coconut Cookies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 8-10 mins
Makes: about 20 smallish cookies
Ingredients
1 and 1/4 cup of plain flour
1/2 tsp of baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar {firmly packed}
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract/essence
1 and 1/3 coconut {shredded is preferred}
Method
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celcius and line some baking trays with paper
2. Place flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and mix. Set aside.
3. Cream the butter and sugars until colour changes {pales}.
4. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until fluffy.
5. With a wooden spoon, mix in the flour mixture in 2-3 batches.
6. Mix in the coconut.
7. Drop dough by the teaspoon full onto the trays, leaving ample room for them to spread.
8. Bake for 8-10 minutes, but don't let them get too brown or you will lose the chewiness!

2 comments:
I wish I'd had this recipe last week. It was my Mom's birthday and she loves coconut! I'll have to bake them for her this weekend. Thanks for the recipe :)
Also, thank you for the awesome comment on my blog! Definitely join us for Five Sentence Fiction sometime. You're right about Eloise...she's amazing.
I would love to know if you do make these - do let me know how they turn out!
Just a tip - don't overcook them - underdone is way better!
Post a Comment
Commenting is the COOLEST thing you can ever do.... If you want to be truly cool - leave a comment!