Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Write on Wednesday - Making Fire

We are learning to make fire - Margaret Atwood


I believe in evolotion. But not in the apes become accountants kind of way. I mean the process of something starting off as so simple and then developing over the ages into something quite complex.


Imagine two little boys, dressed in sabre fur rubbing sticks together in the bush, when they should have been protecting their family from marauding man eating dinosaurs. They rub and rub their sticks together as they discuss how scary it was that the night before they heard raptors screeching just above them in their caves. 


Then... all of a sudden, smoke whispers up, eyes widen and they stop - starring at each other. They try again, rubbing,rubbing, rubbing, smoke, sparks and then fire. Yellow flames lick and dance. They are entranced, not realising that the flames are about to taste their fingers.


With yelps and whoops they run back to their caves, crashing through the scrub. They grab their mother's hands and lead them back to the spot where the fire was growing. The mothers hop and jitter, not sure if this new thing is a good thing, but they can feel the warmth of it on their skin and look at each other in awe. What is this magic? The fathers arrive too and smile at one another, they poke at the fire and in turn get burnt which makes them laugh out in surprise. Someone throws water on the fire and sees that it fizzes. Another dangles part of a bone over the flames and the smell of roasting meat fills the air.

Zoom forward 2000 years and here I sit, with a hot cup of coffee. The water boiled on a stove that starts with a Piezoelectric starter, a tiny flame that ignites gas. I also think of heaters and rockets and spit roasts and toast and hot air balloons and racing cars and hot showers and microwave ovens. All things that have been inspired by fire. By a simple discovery that changed the world forever.

Imagine being the one to discover something like fire? Imagine it? It gives me goosebumps....

Write On Wednesdays

Again, I am linking up with InkPaperPen for Write on Wednesdays...

Write On Wednesdays Exercise 23 - Write the words of Margaret Atwood at the top of your page "We are learning to make fire". Set your timer to 5 minutes. Write the first words that come into your head after the prompt. Stop when the buzzer rings.



8 comments:

No one said...

Oh this is really good! I've never imagined what it would be like to discover fire, or how that might have come about. Though I've always thought it funny that human's claim to have created fire when it was also around them to begin with what with fires spontaneously igniting in the summer's heat. I guess we harnessed it - which is no less amazing! Very interesting post!

spring days, new growth said...

I like this thoughtful post, 'the mothers hop and jitter". It is amazing how much we take for granted these days..
kate

Rain said...

B, this is wonderful. The refletive style is quite different from the narrative style of everything else I've read at this week's WOW assignment so far, and I love the picture you posted at the beginning.

You are such a good writer that halfway through the description of the discovery of fire I had forgotten all about this not being a fantastic narrative -- to the point where I was a little confused (in a good way) when I read "Zoom forward 2000 years".

We both wrote about ancient cavemen discovering fire and trying to control it for the first time. I guess great minds think alike. ;)

/ Rain

B said...

I love this link up! Such positive feedback!

I was thinking of how to incorporate the lightning, but in 5 minutes, that would have been tricky.

This was so fun to write! Love it when the words just come out. Now I am off to visit Sif, Kate and Rain. Fun Fun!

Special 'K' said...

I love reading your sightful posts. Really thought provoking. Good on you! Pop over to my place you have received a Special Award for your blog in appreciation of your support at my place. I hope I am able to share your blog with a few... Cheers SpecialK XoXo

B said...

Oooh - an award... Perhaps I will know what to do with this one, unlike the one Rain nominated me for! I am on my way K - and will read your insightful post while I am there!

Stephanie said...

Wow! I really enjoyed this! It's pure honesty and reality combined into one. The piece flows very well. Lovely writing!

Sarah said...

Yep, really liked this B - very different to everything else this week :)

Post a Comment

Commenting is the COOLEST thing you can ever do.... If you want to be truly cool - leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...