Take me back…whether to a month ago or decades ago.
Share with me a special recipe, but don’t just list out ingredients.
Take me there…in 500 words or less.
Come back on Tuesday, November 1st to link up.
I was raised in a Dutch household. My parents both immigrated as tweens and met and married on Australian soil. Growing up we ate meat pies, enjoyed the beach and said 'G'day' to each other, we thought we were true blue Aussies. But, we were not. I used to get liverwurst sandwiches in my lunch box, we celebrated Sinterklaas on December 5th and enjoyed talking loudly and eating a lot. It would appear that being Dutch was far more than a geographical point of reference.
As a child, my 'Little Oma' {grandmother} lived next door, my 'Big Oma' lived interstate. There were lots of advantages to having an Oma living right next door; lollies by the fistful, salted licorice on the dressing table and a good place to avoid my mum and her long list of chores to do.
On Saturdays, my Oma liked to bake, in case someone visited on a Sunday after church. She was famous for her Boterkoek which is a Dutch buttery shortbread kind of cake. I was often called upon to help her make it. I loved the chance to cook with her.
Boterkoek is a simple cake, but these are often the best don't you think? We would melt the butter and mix in sugar, flour, almond essence and eggs. We would check that the dough was soft but not crumbly and moist but not greasy. The perfect dough was soft and golden and smelt amazing. We always had to try a little piece of it to make sure it was sweet enough.
I loved the fluted pan she used to bake the Boterkoek in, it made the prettiest slices of cake I had ever seen. When we had pressed the dough into the pan, we would take blanched almonds and press them into the dough snugly in the scallop of each of the flutes so that each slice would get a delicious roasted nut. Once the egg glaze was smeared on, the cake was placed into the oven and it was time for a cup of tea. This is when Oma would sit in her chair and sigh heavily, take a few sips of tea and then presently fall asleep. Leaving me, all of 10 years old, to wash the dishes and smell the exact moment the delicious cake was ready.
I don't remember my Oma having all that many visitors, but the Boterkoek always ran out. This could explain why she wasn't actually all that 'Little' for a 'Little Oma'.
I wish I knew what happened to that fluted pie tray. I like to think that someone in our family still uses it. I have a different baking tray of my Oma's though. I am told she actually brought it with her when she travelled the many miles by boat from Holland to Australia. It is pressed steel. It has a great pattern on it and is black from years and years of faithful service to our family line. I am honoured to have it. When I use it to bake biscuits that I make with my girls I am proud to be passing on the legacy of baking to another generation.
Boterkoek is a simple cake, but these are often the best don't you think? We would melt the butter and mix in sugar, flour, almond essence and eggs. We would check that the dough was soft but not crumbly and moist but not greasy. The perfect dough was soft and golden and smelt amazing. We always had to try a little piece of it to make sure it was sweet enough.
I loved the fluted pan she used to bake the Boterkoek in, it made the prettiest slices of cake I had ever seen. When we had pressed the dough into the pan, we would take blanched almonds and press them into the dough snugly in the scallop of each of the flutes so that each slice would get a delicious roasted nut. Once the egg glaze was smeared on, the cake was placed into the oven and it was time for a cup of tea. This is when Oma would sit in her chair and sigh heavily, take a few sips of tea and then presently fall asleep. Leaving me, all of 10 years old, to wash the dishes and smell the exact moment the delicious cake was ready.
I don't remember my Oma having all that many visitors, but the Boterkoek always ran out. This could explain why she wasn't actually all that 'Little' for a 'Little Oma'.
I wish I knew what happened to that fluted pie tray. I like to think that someone in our family still uses it. I have a different baking tray of my Oma's though. I am told she actually brought it with her when she travelled the many miles by boat from Holland to Australia. It is pressed steel. It has a great pattern on it and is black from years and years of faithful service to our family line. I am honoured to have it. When I use it to bake biscuits that I make with my girls I am proud to be passing on the legacy of baking to another generation.


12 comments:
What a lovely memory. I could almost taste the butter! I have a loaf tin I inherited from my mother with a similar pattern on it.
We have an Oma in our family, too!
I love that you use an inherited baking pan- there's something magical about that, isn't there?
My favorite parts of this were the words that you used without explanation- meat pies, G'day, lolls. They gave this piece a perfect flavor (Hee!)!
Lovely memories. You describe the process and its sensuality well in the eyes of a ten-year old. It is great that you have such a link to your extended family, both through a loved activity, and through possessions that you still use.
What a wonderful post and a great memory. I could really taste that cake (my Oma used to make it too) and see what was going on.
ack!! i have an Oma, too- and my piece today was about one of her dishes, too. :) and yes, the simplest dishes usually are the best. :)
My grandma was the first person to bake with me and I love passing it on to my girls as well. Great memories.
This made my mouth water! Yum for the buttery taste! I never heard of meat pies before, sounds interesting...
Sister! I was right there with you! You described this so beautifully! As a child of a Dutch immigrant to America, with an Oma (Ouma) of my own.... oh, yes. Making oliebollen and kaasbolletjes. Sigh. And dubbelzout!
Now I'm hungry and I miss my Grandma. That means you did a wonderful job.
http://writinginareddress.blogspot.com/2011/11/failure-is-option.html
(I meant the tast of dubbelzout, not that we ever MADE them.!)
I found you from the RemembeRed linkup. I love the picture of the patterned pan above! May your little Oma's memory live with you even longer than her pan.
Who was big Oma, though? Was that what you called your other grandma?
Love the thought of Oma...And the cake...All of it sounds amazing. I love the Dutch community!
Thanks for the comments! The Dutch have really populated the world all over! I love that so many of you have a Dutch connection. A friend recently showed me a plaque on her wall that said, "You're Not Much If You're Not Dutch". They are a very self assured people!
My 'Big Oma' who was very tall lived interstate, about a ten hour drive away. She was not as friendly as my 'Little Oma', but she could knit/crochet/needlepoint like you wouldn't believe.
I forget that this link up is American... Sorry to throw in the 'Aussie' kinds of things: meat pies, g'day and the beach. Meat pies are just what they suggest. Meat and gravy stuff in a pie shell. You eat them with tomato ketchup. They are delicious, but are not great for the thighs!
Post a Comment
Commenting is the COOLEST thing you can ever do.... If you want to be truly cool - leave a comment!