Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Write on Wednesdays - Choose your own adventure

Write On Wednesdays

I am linking up with inkpaperpen again for Write on Wednesdays....

This week I am allowed to choose any of the previous writing prompts I like... so I chose this one....

Write On Wednesdays Exercise 15 Give yourself some time to notice the people around you. The people who may cross your path each day. The lady in front of you at the supermarket, the man who helps the school kids cross the road, a neighbour, a waitress in a cafe, a librarian, anyone at all. Choose one person, someone you don't know, and this person will become the basis of the week's writing exercise. Describe this person as you see them, describe their surroundings. Then imagine a problem, create conflict for this person. Describe the conflict. Describe how your character deals with the problem. The conflict might resolve itself, it might not. It is up to you. Perhaps, the lady in the supermarket has forgotten her wallet. Does she bursts into tears? Maybe the librarian finds a lost child. The aim is to show how your character responds to conflict and in the process, reveal something about that character. Tell us their story.


Let's aim for around 200 words, keeping with the theme of the last few weeks (to make each word count). Hopefully those of you who are writing ongoing stories will find a way to weave this exercise into your work.

There is a house across the street from us that intrigues us. The people who live there hardly ever come out. They are very private, very .... shy? Nervous? Secretive? Ashamed?

They do the same things every day: open gates, get newspaper, check mail, water plants. Mr Cool has spoken to the man once and he seems okay. I have said hello to the lady once, she barely said hello in return. 

I am sure that they are lovely people, but my imagination gets the better of me and I wonder what they do all day long... They may be in witness protection. Or there could be a tunnel under the house where they leave without anyone seeing. Or they could be Batman's parents. Or Ivan Milat's parents! Eek! They could have a basement full of pygmy skulls and elephant tusks. We love to think that they are nudist addicted to online gaming and can't bear being dressed to even grab the paper in the morning. Intriguing huh?


Here is my 200 word story about the lady of the house across the street.... 



The Lady Across the Street

She spends some of her time pottering around in her garden of three plants. She spends most of her time behind closed doors. Does she watch game shows all day long? Is she part of a secret society? Is she addicted to online gambling? Is she a nudist?

Her straw like hair is getting greyer and greyer and more twig like. She wears clothes that look like cardboard. She moves with slow trudgery. I spoke to her once. I said, 'Hello'. She half smiled back through tight lips. She was toothless. 

Each day she walks to the store. She buys two carrots, one apple, she haggles over cents at the checkout. She counts out her money, coins rattle. One day, there were not enough coins. She was flustered. She asked to take one carrot off the sale. Still not enough coins. People behind her felt the awkwardness. 

I tapped her on the shoulder and offered her a $5 note. She stared at me for what felt like hours. Instead of accepting the money, she made a choking sound and left all of her items. She bolted out of the door. She did not come out of the house for days. Her blinds are shut more. She walks a different way to the shops. 

 

11 comments:

spring days, new growth said...

Oh, how difficult it must be for you not to KNOW? I'm a shameless people watcher too - good description of an intriguing character.
kate

B said...

I have gotten to the point where it is more fun not to know what she does all day - I am sure my imagination creates a much more exciting life for her!

Eloise said...

oh B you make me laugh out loud! Can i just say, I enjoyed your introduction to the piece as much as the piece itself :) I felt the awkwardness in the shop. One of the worst feelings ever! I often wonder what people do inside all day. I had an old great aunt who hardly ever left her house but if anyone on the street set a foot outside their front door her front curtains would twitch....I think she sat there all day long just waiting to see what would happen. One day I chased my sisters down the street with a replica blunderbuss my mum had....I can only imagine what she thought of that!

B said...

I was chuckling before I knew what a blunderbuss was. Then I googled it and am laughing AGAIN! That would have been a sight!

I wrote the piece first and then wrote the introduction, which flowed out much easier, I was then going to only publish the first bit. But then I remembered there needed to be conflict. So, I published both. It is is my blog after all. I mean, how could I delete a paragraph that contains 'Batman's parents' and a 'pygmy skull', right?

Thanks for popping over. You are a star Eloise.

Anonymous said...

Haha!! You're just as crazy as me!! We used to live down the road from this mansion, and we were intrigued by the people in it. I loved to make up interesting stories about them, never did find out who they were and what they actually did.....

Kimberlee said...

So interesting. I love all of your guesses, and the scene at the store is wonderful. My hubby and I make up stories about our neighbors too. Most are unfriendly and don't come out of the house much.

B said...

Thanks gals - I am glad I am not alone in my people watching habits! I would love to write down some more stories about the mysterious people in my street. I think the lady directly opposite is a nudist lesbian who ate her pet cat. The people next door are secretly breeding possums and use road kill to make slippers. The other neighbours grow pot in their garage - although I do actually think they do. BUT - I do live in a lovely street! I think my imagination is the most scandalous thing on our quiet street! (Except for the old man right at the end who collects his newspaper nude at 5am in the morning - that is a pretty scary way to start a morning run!)

Sarah said...

Ha ha, I liked the introduction and the comments as much as the post.

If only my neighbours were HALF as interesting but annoyingly they are all pretty friendly so not much scope for making up lives for them!

I wonder what yours think of you .......... :)

B said...

Oh no! I hadn't thought of that! Hmmmm... let me think....

They would think that I am a very bossy lady who lives in a house with no garden and is too busy baking cakes she doesn't eat. I think that they would also say that I am never home for long before zooming off again. They would say I talk too loud and yell at my kids for stupid things like: jumping too much, wearing noisy shoes, spilling crumbs and taking too long to come for breakfast. They could also say that I yell at my pet chickens. I would hope that they also say that I am a good mum who lets my kids do lots of fun things and a great wife for my lovely husband.

You know... just off the top of my head...

InkPaperPen said...

I have been doing lots of people watching lately. We have just moved and I keep peering through the windows, straining for a glance of our nieghbours!

I felt the tension at the check out. How awful! I thought the first part was your story and then I realised I hadn't even started yet! Great writing detective work

No one said...

Gosh, it takes a lot of courage to offer to help a stranger out with money at the checkout. It takes even more courage to accept the offer, I think. At least you offered. People watching is my absolute favour pastime. Truth be told - if we ever met, I'd be watching you. I watch everyone, all the time, for glimpses of secret stories, back stories... Some lovely observations here; clothes like cardboard - fantastic!

Post a Comment

Commenting is the COOLEST thing you can ever do.... If you want to be truly cool - leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...