Friday, October 7, 2011

Friday Food - Slow Cooker Curry - Never Fail - Different Every Time!



We love curries at our house, well, the kids say they don't, but when a bit of sour cream is added they usually end up licking their bowls clean!


I make a big slow cooker full of curry every couple of months and then enjoy having some nights where all I have to do is cook up some rice and papadums and voila - dinner!


I never use a recipe when making curry. I guess after years and years of experimenting, I kind of know how much of everything I need. So... I am giving you my 'Never Fail, Different Every Time Curry' recipe. With a few slow cooker tips at the end.


Oh, and you may note that I don't add chilli to this curry - the kids don't like it and it can get too spicy when cooked for 8 hours+, but if you are game - go. for. it.!


B's Never-Fail-Different-Every-Time Curry






Prep time: 20 minutes prep. 8 hours + cooking time
Makes: LOTS!(At least 3 meals for 2 adults & 2 poppets)


Ingredients:


1kg or so of beef (use chuck, rump, skirt etc) or lamb (forequarter chops, shanks)
2 cans of peeled, diced tomatoes
3 brown onions
4 tbsp olive oil
A good knob of butter
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp curry powder
4 large cloves of garlic
3 tsp fresh ginger
3 tbsp coriander
3 tbsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground fennel seed
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 beef stock cubes
1/2 cup of water
Salt and pepper


Method

  1. Cut the meat into 2cm square chunks. Put into a bowl with all of the spices, garlic, ginger, flour and 1 tbs of olive oil, mix well and leave for at least 30 minutes (I do this step the night before so that the flavours develop and to save time in the morning).
  2. Cut onions and fry in the butter and the olive oil, stirring often. They should be golden and soft - this should take about 5 minutes - don't burn them!
  3. Put onions into the slow cooker. Add the cans of tomatoes to your slow cooker too. This is a good time to turn your slow cooker on as it is then warming as you add the other things to it.
  4. Start browning batches of meat small amounts of olive oil. Make sure that you seal all the sides and get a bit of colour on the meat. Add these to the slow cooker.
  5. In your final batch of beef, add the tomato paste and cook for a few minutes, stirring often. If it begins to stick, add a splash of water.
  6. When everything is in the slow cooker, add the beef stock cubes and water. Season with salt and pepper. Pop the lid on and walk away. It will be ready in around 8 hours!
  7. Serve with rice and some mango chutney.
Variations:
  • You can add vegetables like carrots, potato, cauliflower or pumpkin to this curry. Add it 4-6 hours before you want to eat.
  • You can add other spices too if you want! Try:  1/4 tsp of turmeric, 1/4 tsp chilli powder, 1tbs garam masala
B's Slow cooker Rules
  1. Don't open the lid! Unless you are adding an ingredient - leave it alone! The slow cooker works best when you have a good amount of steam and condensation build up.
  2. Don't add too much liquid! The steam that builds up from Rule #1 will add moisture to the dish.
  3. If you find that the sauce of the casserole is too runny, take the lid of for the final 30 minutes and it should thicken.
  4. Do try the dish about 30 minutes before serving. If it is too bitter, try adding a tsp of honey. If it is too salty - try adding some more peeled tomatoes. If it is too bland - add a bit more curry powder, garam masala and some more garlic.
  5. If you really don't like the curry - I recommend throwing it out, don't freeze it thinking you will eat it another time. You will never go back and eat it if you didn't like it the first time. Save yourself the space in your freezer and the hassle. Sometimes, things just don't work. Even Nigella says so!

7 comments:

Sophia's Lover said...

Her liquid gaze could melt the coldest heart,
Her perfect face framed ‘round by ebony;
Since early on her dancing was an art –
Lithe hands and limbs in quaking ecstasy.
Not one to walk on eggshells, biting wit
And knife-blade tongue would often trouble make;

THANKS.

B said...

Well, well, well... I don't know if anyone has ever written poetry about one of my curries before! Thanks a bunch 'Sophia's Lover'!

Tracy said...

Yes I can imagine the intense flavour would be HOT to add chilli..maybe at the end!
Delish. Salivating.

Ben said...

Looks great and I'm trying it next week. However, I'm pretty sure my electronic kitchen scales don't have a "knob" setting. How much is a knob in grams? :)

Sarah said...

Love my slow cooker and it's always nice to have a new recipe to add to the collection.

Love tip no 5 :) I MUST clear out my freezer!

B said...

Hey Ben, if you are who I think you are, I was thinking of you when I wrote up this recipe - Mr Cool mentioned you ogled his curry a while ago! A 'knob' of butter would be a decent blob - so around 60grams.

Sarah Mac - I am now nervous about the recipe - it is just one I throw together! I always assume no one reads my blog - let alone COOKS what I post!

Let me know how it works out if you try it!

Ben said...

Ha! Yes, I have been known to ogle people's curries! Looking forward to trying this one! Cheers!

Post a Comment

Commenting is the COOLEST thing you can ever do.... If you want to be truly cool - leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...