Sunday, October 9, 2011

Anna Says - Children's Movies That Are Not Scary

Finding Children's Movies That Are Not Scary
When language was first conjured from grunts and signals, stories were told. The good stories were elaborated. These elaborated stories were then told and re-told and changed and merged and retold again. Back in the days before Hans Christian Anderson and the Grimm Brothers, people would sit around fires at night and listen to these stories. Those good at telling these tales would go from village to village sharing them. These were both informative and entertaining, with information about royalty and war progress. There were no televisions, computers, iPhones or egad, even BOOKS to keep one entertained.


These stories usually involved a valuable lesson. Naughty children got lost (Hansel and Gretel). Naughty children didn't listen to their parents (Sleeping Beauty). Naughty children wandered far from home (Goldilocks). True love can be found wearing the right shoes (Cinderella). The stories were meant to frighten children into doing the right things. These stories also involved elements of magic like fairies and elves, witches and talking animals. They had to be exciting after all!


Over time these stories were written down and shared. Then enhanced with pictures. Then inventors and creators like Walt Disney stepped in and added cute characters and animation, which changed the world of entertainment forever.  From there Pixar and Big Idea swept through using computer animation to add crazy and loveable characters to films for a whole new generation.


But, the premise of valuable lessons is still there. Lessons can be learnt from all the movies that are currently on the market. No-one goes alone (Toy Story). Remember your friends (Madagascar). Don't trust anyone (Tangled). Love conquers all (Gnomeo & Juliet). But, there is still that element of scariness.


Try as I might, I did not come up with one children's film that did not have at least one scary or sad part in it. Unless you want to watch Maisy and Peppa Pig all day long, I think that there needs to be a better solution. I mean, really, even bible stories can be scary, lion's dens, boats in storms, enormous people-swallowing fish and the crucifixion to boot - all scary as heck!


I think that the solution to surviving scary parts in movies is to watch the movies with your kids (at least the first time). Talk to them about the scary parts. We have a 'rule' at our place: if part of a movie or show is scary, tell a grown up, who will then sit down and watch it with you. This may seem strange, but what is worse - seeing the scary ending or letting a child's imagination go crazy wondering what happened? 


I chatted with two gorgeous movie critics this week about some of their favourite movies... Here they are in all their glory....


The Princessly Miss Z and the Groovy Miss A


What is your favourite movie?

Miss Z: Tangled, Marry Poppins, Barbie and the 12 Dancing Princesses
Miss A: Gnomeo and Juliet, Toy Story 3, Madagascar 2
My girls have VERY different tastes in everything from movies to shoes to dress-ups....
What do you like about these movies?
Miss Z: I like when Rupunzel has the big pony tail and when she has the flowers in her hair. I like when Mary Poppins has the white dress on. I like ummm... when the Queen and the King Dance together and they step one each other’s toes *lots of giggles*.
Miss A: I like that they have nice endings and that have lots of adventure. I like the funny parts. I like the music and the characters.
See? Very different!
What is more important for a movie to be funny or to be scary?
Miss Z: I think a movie should be funny and scary.
Miss A: I think a movie needs both. The sad parts have to be in it, but movies usually have a happy ending.
When a movie has scary parts what do you do?
Miss Z: I sometimes I start to cuddle someone but no crying. And then I get better.
Miss A: Sometimes I am sad and sometimes I am happy. Sometimes I cry and sometimes I can hold it in. I like to hug somebody. 
Miss A cries in pretty much EVERY movie! She has such a soft heart! Miss Z just waits for the dancing and singing at the end.
When mummy and daddy say you HAVE to watch the scary bit and see how the movie ends, how does this make you feel?
Miss Z:  It makes me feel happy, because I think it is a little bit funny.
Miss A: I feel a bit worried. And I don’t know what is going to happen next.
Miss Z does get the giggles when things get a bit too sad or scary - it is a bit disconcerting...
When you have watched the scary bit, do you think it is better to have seen it or not?
Miss Z: I think it is better to see the scary bit, because I think it is sad. It is a little bit good to see a hard bit and it is a little bit good to see the happy, angry and everything else bits.
Miss A: Sometimes I wish I hadn’t seen it and sometimes I am glad I did. I think that if I didn’t see it, my mind would work it out to be scarier than it was.
Aren't they clever poppets? They have obviously listened to me after all!
Do you think movies need to have scary bits in them?
Miss Z: Yes, because that is part of all of the parts. Because. 
Miss A: Yes, because they need to have a happy ending. Life is not always happy so that goes with the movies.
Very wise children - they were not coached much at all!
Do you think movies need to have happy endings?
Miss Z: Yeah, because sometimes at the end they are happy and love each other.
Miss A: Yes, because it makes it more nice to watch the movie.

So, Anna - I am hoping you were not waiting for a long list of movies to hunt for at Blockbuster that didn't leave your kids quivering under the couch on movie night! I just see that any opportunity to talk to your kids about life is a good thing. Movies can be a good way to talk to your kids about how to be safe, how to be a good friend, how to cope when you are on your own. Good life lessons to learn at someone else's expense!

In case you were hoping for a list: 
Here is a list of good movies to watch with your kids....

The Jungle Book
Mary Poppins
Robots
Cars
The Incredibles
Gnomeo & Juliet
Madagascar 1 & 2
Toy Story 1, 2 & 3
Tinkerbell
The Little Mermaid
Tangled
Garfield
Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs
Space Chimps
The Smurfs

Note:  I don't like animal movies - so you will not see anything like 'Milo and Otis', 'Black Beauty' or any other sad animal movies - they are too much even for me!




2 comments:

CraftyMummy said...

Great post, B!

My Little Miss really enjoyed reading all about what Miss Z & Miss A had to say. She says that "If it is a narrative, it has to have a scary bit." (Can you tell she's been studying narratives at school lately?)

And I love the funky picture! Little Miss likes that too, she says, as she reads over my shoulder.

I would add to your list the Cars Movies, and the AutoBGood DVD's, with cars that talk too.

B said...

Thanks CraftyMummy - I had forgotten about Carz! I will add it now.... I am always happy to be able to add to the list!

The photo is pretty cool - completely unplanned - which makes it really cool!

Thanks popping across!

Post a Comment

Commenting is the COOLEST thing you can ever do.... If you want to be truly cool - leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...