Monday, October 10, 2011

10 Things - 10 Little Things You Can Do To Have A Little Holiday At Home




We are in week one of term here. Sigh. Backed to packed lunches, school uniforms and the morning rush. Sigh. I didn't get a break in the holidays. I know, I know, I spent some time at the beach and Mr Cool was around, but between a baby with burns, a tonsillectomy and an ear-infection - it was all a bit intense.


You may remember that last week I wrote a list of '10 Things I Really Need To Get Done This Week'. Sigh. I got two of the things done. I started with gusto, but then realised I was just too tired. The holidays were not restful, I wasn't able to sleep properly, it was pretty full on, I needed a break. So.... I took a break. I rested. I had to. If I didn't, I knew I would get sick. 


So, for all of you out there who may not have had the holidays you hoped to have, or if you need a little pick-me-up, or if you simply need to take some me time here is this week's list:


10 Little Things You Can Do To Have A Little Holiday At Home


1. Read a novel
  • read whenever you can - in the middle of the day, when the urge to vacuum hits ... anytime!
  • Good books to read would be: 
    • Anything by Alexander McCall Smith - I am reading 'The Miracle at Speedy Motors'
    • One of the Janet Evanovich books - I have just read 'One for the Money'
    • Anything by Monica McInerney - love 'The Alphabet Sisters'


    2. Sit in the sun
    • Remember the sunscreen
    • Wear a big hat
    • Drink something cool in a glass - with an umbrella


      3. Ask friends out for coffee
      • Sometimes in normal weeks this is too much of an extravagance. But, on a little holiday, it is essential!
      • Cake is good for the soul, so is good company!


        4. Write a to do list...
        • Then tear it into pieces!
        • Housework is very patient, it will wait until you are feeling more chipper. 


          5. Walk in a garden
          • If your own is gross - like mine - find a nice one somewhere! 
          • Enjoy being outside and in the fresh air, very important things on a holiday.


            6. Paint your toenails
            • Nothing says, 'I have had a vacation' like well manicured nails!
            • Do it yourself:
              • soak your feet
              • scrub off old skin
              • push back cuticles
              • smear with a lovely thick moisturiser and let that soak in (see step 1)
              • paint nails a lovely red
              • do a second coat (see step 2)


              7. Do something cultural
              • There are art galleries, museums, libraries and historic buildings everywhere. Go check one out. Bring a camera, a water bottle, and do some exploring.


                8.  Buy something new to wear
                • It doesn't have to cost much, but a new top or beads or scarf can lift an outfit and make you feel so hip.
                • This will involve a shopping trip - find some funky markets or drive to some funky shops you don't normally go to.


                  9. Listen

                    10. Make an occasion out of everything
                    • Make tea in a pot and enjoy it on a porch chair
                    • Put your lunch onto your prettiest plate, give yourself a napkin and a tall icy drink
                    • Read a magazine propped up against pillows on your bed in the middle of the day
                    • Watch a movie in the afternoon
                    • Have a nap on clean sheets with the windows wide open 
                    • Buy yourself some fresh flowers


                      I have learnt that even half an hour of time when I tell myself it is 'holiday' time has helped me to unwind. This has been really nice, because I don't usually let myself unwind. I am wound pretty tight most of the time.

                      Last week was the start of my holiday and I will take another week this week to rest and re-group. I am looking forward to it.


                      Happy girls are the prettiest. 
                      Audrey Hepburn




                      14 comments:

                      Lacey said...

                      Love this post B - all splendid suggestions!! I particularly like reading during the middle of the day, making lunch special and going to buy something new. I certainly don't do enough of the last one! PS Hated "One for the Money" so much, considering whether I'll even bother going to bookclub because I might be booed out of membership.

                      B said...

                      Oh - you don't get out of bookclub that easily missy! I couldn't tell which were the laugh out loud funny bits of the book either.

                      I think I needed to add to the list: drink lots of coffee, eat chocolate, go for long walks and spend evenings on the deck with a glass of champagne and a dishy husband. Ah, I always think of more things once I have already posted!!

                      CraftyMummy said...

                      Love this post, B. I should print it and put it on the fridge for easy reference.

                      Plus, I love the Audrey photos. Oh, to have her classic style!

                      Sarah said...

                      Easily my favorite post of the week.

                      I think I've done quite a few of these over the last few weeks and I shall be examining myself for increased levels of prettyness as I try and squeeze a few more in ;)


                      Now, I have a plan that's been brewing for a while. It might take me a couple of days to pull it together but watch this space ...

                      B said...

                      CraftyMummy - you are one of the classiest chicks I know! You always look lovely! Imagine wearing a tiara and pearls for tuckshop! No, no... you are perfect just the way you are. Although - one day, you may notice those pretty tights will go missing, and then I will become classier than you...

                      Sarah Mac - you tease! I will now be logging on to see what you have been brewing.... Hmmm.... mind boggles!

                      Givinya De Elba said...

                      Hey! I've just finished One for the Money too! I first read it years ago, and now that I've kept up with all her Stephanie Plums (was the last one number 18?) going back to One for the Money was weird! She has certainly developed her characters a bit since the beginning.

                      I love reading them on my iPad in bed until my eyelids close! (After roundly beating 'CPU' in Scrabble, that is.)

                      Sarah said...

                      Ha! All is revealed ... :)

                      Eloise said...

                      loved it! What a great post. And the pictures *sigh*. You've done an amazing job! I think my favourite tip is No. 10.....but then again I like to drink my orange juice out of a crystal tumbler hahahaha

                      B said...

                      Gininya - what do you think of the Plumb books - I just can't decide. Maybe my funny bone is broken or maybe my copy is missing pages. I just didn't get it!

                      Oh Sarah Mac - you sly thing! Thanks for the plug - you are too sweet - a bit like fudge really.

                      Eloise - I knew you would mention the pictures!

                      sjp said...

                      Thanks to Sarah Mac for turning me onto this post, read the first 2 tips and couldnt agree more! my two favourite hobbies.

                      Ps: LOVE bloom by the paper kites, you should check out their song featherstone too.

                      Daisy, Roo and Two said...

                      Something in the Water is my favourite song at the moment! So am definitely going to check out your other recommendations!
                      I love your idea of having a holiday when you're not having a holiday! I might have one next weekend!

                      Anonymous said...

                      This is a brilliant post and exactly what I needed to read at this moment thank you B.

                      B said...

                      Aw, thanks Daisy and Happlan for the visit. Nice having some new faces about the place! It has been nice to do some of these kinds of things, but I think I will continue to add these things into my week. A little bit of pampering goes a LOOOONNNNGG way! Have a good weekend.

                      Special 'K' said...

                      I absolutely love the idea. You are both cool and clever. Love Something In The Water but my favorite at this point in my life is Marry You by Bruno Mars just love the lyrics and tune and its a lot of fun "looking for something dumb to do". Thank you for having me I have enjoyed myself so very much I am your new follower. Come over to my place real soon, Please. Cheers

                      Post a Comment

                      Commenting is the COOLEST thing you can ever do.... If you want to be truly cool - leave a comment!

                      Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...