In “On Writing” Stephen King wrote, “The scariest moment is always just before you start. After that, things can only get better.”
Write a memoir post – first-person and true – inspired by that statement.
Word limit is 300.
I decided last week that I was going to stop blogging. That I was done. That there were far better things to do with my precious time. I mean, really, the world would continue to turn, wars would continue to wage, people would get on with their lives without BBeingCool. Really, they would. I decided that that was that. Time to move on to something else. And then I remembered the first blog post I spat out into the blogosphere. I wanted to discover and learn about life and fashion and family. I wanted to find a way to be B without being pigeonholed into a box that said, 'Stay at Home Mum' or 'Mother of Three'. I wanted to be a box that said, 'B Being Cool' - that sounded catchy.
Staring at the white screen, cursor flashing, wondering what I might say that could be of any use to anyone was and is, petrifying. I wrote about twenty posts before I published the first one. Hitting the 'Publish Post' button was and is, one of the most exhilarating and frightening and free-ing things I have done.
I have struggled at times to think of things to write about. That blinking curser mocks me. I am not exposed to all that many cool things like; galleries, designer clothes, book signings or celebrity spotting. My life at the moment is limited to what I can do whilst keeping three poppets and a cute husband alive and mostly happy*. But, my life is still cool.
I have learnt so much since this blogging journey began. I have met some amazing people. I have taken some risks. I have discovered that I love to write. I really love it. I may as well continue to write. I may as well continue to blog.
So.... my decision to stop blogging was short lived. It is so great being part of a community of people who live life well and write about it. I love being able to share this crazy journey.
Life is cool. Live it. Love it. Share it.
* I hope my peeps don't mind that I have used one of their catch phrases, it is too good to keep under wraps!


8 comments:
This was my favorite, "Hitting the 'Publish Post' button was and is, one of the most exhilarating and frightening and free-ing things I have done." Love that.
I can totally relate to you, sistah! So many things learned, so many new people in my life. Awesome:) Keep writing...
Glad you decided to keep blogging! It truly is a great and supportive community!
Good call! I have kept on blogging since that first post of mine, mainly because I don't have any pressures to write. I don't make money from it, I don't get upset if I lose readers or my comment count goes down, and I don't pressure myself to write when there's nothing to say. My blog is there for me when I need it, and I am not its servant. So it won't die, maybe just hibernate every now and then!
'Alive and Mostly Happy' is a great term, and so applicable to looking after small children! Use it often!
This is so very relatable and so very true.
You had so many gems in here- but this one was especially poignant -It is so great being part of a community of people who live life well and write about it- because that's what it comes down to, isn't it?
Live first, write second.
Lovely, truly.
I've never considered leaving off the blog, because it's replaced my Journaling. So I can't let it go. It's especially rewarding to make the connections with people I'd never meet otherwise!
I've quit blogging at least once a month for the past year. ;-) I completely relate to what you've said here, to the feelings that go with it. You've articulated it well.
That cursor can bring so much pleasure and so much agony. Like a drug, we keep coming back.
I love how you brought us into the room as you craft, so that we, too, understand the tyranny of that cursor.
Good. I'm glad you decided to stay for your own reasons.
Post a Comment
Commenting is the COOLEST thing you can ever do.... If you want to be truly cool - leave a comment!