Thursday, October 6, 2011

Life is Cool: Lessons learnt from a car key (iPPP Link)




Mr Cool drives a very sporty BMW. It is very cool, very stylish and suits him really well.


Occasionally I drive it. It is a fun car to drive, it corners really nicely and accelerates quickly. I think in a past life I was a race car driver. Not many people beat me across intersections, I like to really gun it to get a head start at traffic lights. I hope no Policemen are reading this, or I may be seen as an easy ticket!


Anyway, I digress.


Whenever I drive Mr Cool's car I struggle to lock/unlock it. This is what the key/remote locking thingie for the car looks like....






I am not sure if it is clear, but the big button at the bottom is for 'Lock' and then the little buttons at the top are for 'Unlock' and interior 'Lights on'.


I have thought about this key for a long time... It is a good metaphor for life.


I see that people are a lot like this remote locking device.


I know that my 'Lock' button is really prominent. Is yours? I find it hard to let people in. I find it takes a while to get to know them before I start telling them anything really deep about myself. I know it is important for people to get to know me and I know it is important for me to get to know other people, but... you know... sometimes I want to get a vibe about someone before letting them in too far. Before I let them grubby the floor mats.


Sometimes if people get too close too quickly I hit the 'Lock' button and hunker down inside myself to stop people from getting to know parts of me that I would prefer them not to. I hit 'Lock' at times when Mr Cool and I have a disagreement. And when friends tell me something I don't want to hear. Or when someone says something that upsets me. 'Locking' myself gives me space and time to think about the situation.


When I look at this remote, I marvel at how small the 'Unlock' button is. Isn't UN-locking a car so it can be driven more important than LOCKing the car? It seems counter productive to me. There is a beautifully crafted piece of German engineering genius that is hard to UN-lock? What is with that?


But, as humans it can be hard to un-lock each other to let others in. The conditions need to be just right.


The other button is for turning on the interior lights. We are not quite sure why this feature was seen as important enough to put onto the locking device, given that un-locking the car puts the  interior lights on, but, there it is. I think this too is an important human characteristic. It is helpful to be able to shed light on things. Some really uncomfortable things have been happening in my circles of friends. The ripples have been crashing into each other and it has been a really bizarre time. A few situations have meant that I have had to have some hard conversations. Conversations where I have had re-state my views and back track to where I said what to who and when and why. I have also had to hear some pretty hard stuff about some pretty lovely people. But, having the lights put on these situations has helped. I can see that I have grown and I have seen that I am okee-dokee-just-being-me-thank-you-very-muchly.


So... do you have a strange item that you use that could be a metaphor for life?


PS - I am feeling a bit smug - Mr Cool had no idea what the 'Lights on button' did! Yip yip for B!



5 comments:

Eloise said...

Awesome post (as per usual!) My car remote doesn't have a 'lights on' button....it has an alarm button instead....helpful if I am ever being mugged but really annoying if one of the kids gets hold of my keys!

I think the 'lights on' button is supposed to turn your headlights on or something in a dark carpark so you can find your car or something.....

As far as the metaphor goes, Im in complete LOCKDOWN mode at the moment. I tend to do that when going through a crisis. Hibernate, avoid people, avoid lengthy conversations, etc.

I hope things calm down in your circle of friends....its awful being caught in the middle. But clarifying your point of view (even to yourself) is always a beneficial thing I have found.

Lacey said...

If I were a car key, I would pretty much be a giant big unlock button, with a miniscule lock one. I am far too open with my life I think and it may sometimes freak new people out. And yet, for all that, I don't see enough reason to be any different :-) Perhaps one day it will bite me, and the buttons of my life will become similar in size.

B said...

Eloise - you are miss clever clogs aren't you?! I think you are right about the 'Lights On' button... I do hope in time that you can 'unlock' again. I guess for now you just have to take care of your own self (whilst keeping offspring alive, of course). Sending a virtual hug....

Lacey - don't you ever change! You are a breath of fresh air, it has been soooo nice to meet someone who is actually willing to share their life and all that goes along with that. I love that you live with conviction and stand up for what you believe in - even if you don't think saving animals is all that beneficial ;0)

Liz said...

WOw, I never thought about a car key so deeply, but I definitely see the parallels you are talking about. I'm sorry for the "bizarre-ness" in your life right now.

B said...

Thanks for popping over, again, Liz! Love it!

My life is going quite nicely, it is just seems that everyone else is having crisis after crisis. But, all in all, I would rather that than the other way around!!

Post a Comment

Commenting is the COOLEST thing you can ever do.... If you want to be truly cool - leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...