Okay, firstly, if you get these blog posts as emails, I apologise. I am sorry that you will get yet ANOTHER email about this topic. You see, I thought the task was so simple pimple, I completed it in minutes. But really, it was not as easy as I thought. I didn't get it. So throughout the day I have tried to salvage what I had done. I read some other people's pieces and realised mine was rubbish. So I deleted the post and took myself off the link-a-doo thingamagig. I will try again though.
I have been trying to push myself a bit lately. I want to write better. So I have joined a few link parties - which is how bloggers have fun I think. I has been fun. And challenging. Today I have linked up {for the second time} with inkpaperpen...
Here is the exercise...
Write on Wednesday Exercise 14 - The Mighty Mighty Rewrite...
Zanni: I did a workshop with literary author Mj Hyland, who teachers Masters in Creative Writing at Manchester University. She asked us to choose our favourite book, take the first paragraph and then write our own content into the paragraph, keeping the structure, tone, language etc. It's really helpful!
Here is the text I have chosen....
Picnic at Hanging Rock
by Joan Lindsay
Here is my piece...
Everyone agreed that the day was just right for a bus trip - a stunning spring day of soft cool breezes and azure skies, the lorikeets and rosellas chatting noisily as they feasted from the fresh blooms of grevillias outside the dining room and chickens pecked at the geraniums that lined the walkways. Blue rinsed agapanthus waving at the passing breeze and the pristine grass gleaming with beads of sunshine reflecting the early morning dew. Already the cook was watering the impatiens as they were still in morning shade protected by the nursing home's new administration building. The old ladies of Mrs Orangeblossom's Home for the Aged had been up bright and early adorned in greys, pinks and whites chatting like a noisy flock of excited galahs. Not only was it Saturday and the long awaited occasion of the Carnival of Flowers, the most important day in the gardening calendar, but also the day to sit and watch the parade meandering down the main street of their beautiful mountain city. All the old dears were frantically snipping articles and programs of events from the local paper, desperate not to miss a single stunning bloom, wondrous display or fanciful pot of colour; even though their beloved Home for the Aged had won first prize in many of the competition categories.
I hope I have now done this piece justice!

7 comments:
I absolutely love this! The descriptiveness is very reminiscent of the original. The idea of changing the 'school for young ladies' into an aged care home is brilliant, and also in keeping with the old world theme-yet with a modern twist. Ace!
I loved this too. Love the original and your version is great. Very descriptive.
I especially liked 'blue rinsed agapanthus', a perfect choice of words in the setting of an elderly persons home.
Thanks girls! This is my second attempt at this exercise, I clearly didn't get it... Glad I came good in the end! Thanks for commenting, will definitely be back for more 'Write on Wednesdays' - it sure is fun!
loved this too - those pink galahs are so real. well done stcking with the style of the brief
Kate
Sometimes we are our own worse critics. with that said I think you did a great job.
Thanks for the feedback lovely ladies! This was my first attempt at Write on Wednesday - have loved it! Loved reading lots of people's work and commenting. What a great group of people! See you again some time!
So glad that you enjoyed Write on Wednesday. Hope to see you back next week. We can all be hard on ourselves but if you felt like you needed to do the exercise again, then fair enough!
I haven't read this book (now I would like to) but you captured the feel of the original very well and I liked the little story you came up with for content. Will look forward to reading more from you
Post a Comment
Commenting is the COOLEST thing you can ever do.... If you want to be truly cool - leave a comment!