Friday, September 30, 2011

Friday Food - Zucchini Fritters






My mother-in-law makes amazing fritters. Through the years, I have asked for her recipe several times and she faithfully writes it out in her very best handwriting. And then I put it somewhere. Then it is lost. I wanted to make fritters a little while ago and did not want to bother my mother in law again, I googled instead. 


What I found was a recipe for a delicious, light fritter that was almost an omelette kind of thing. Delicious. So this is not the typical pancake batter with vegetables in it variety of fritter. These are a bit different. I don't think these would freeze very well given how incredibly soft they are.


The best thing about these fritters is that my really fussy 3 year old gobbles them up. The bad news is my 6 year old doesn't like them. I just can't win.


Oh, and if you think you would not like it with the cumin - you NEED the cumin.


Zucchini Fritters


Prep Time: 15 mins prep, 20 mins cooking
Serves: 4 (the mixture makes a lot and it depends on how big you make them and how hungry you are. I made a double mixture for us and we ate all but 3!)


Ingredients: 


2 small zucchini
1 small carrot
1 small spanish onion
1/4 cup self raising flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3 eggs separated
50 ml olive oil


Method:

  1. Coarsely grate vegetables into a large bowl. Add flour and cumin seeds and toss well.
  2. Stir through the egg yolks and season with salt and pepper.
  3. Beat egg whites until firm peaks form.
  4. Spoon 1/4 of the egg whites into the vegetable mixture and fold through gently. Then add the remaining egg whites ensuring you don't mix, but fold through.
  5. Heat a little of the oil in the base of a shallow pan. Add globs of mixture (about 2-3 tbsp) into the pan. Turn when the underside is golden.
  6. Serve hot (I keep mine warm in the oven while I continue to cook them).

Serving Suggestions:

  • I served mine in a stack. Given the oven was already on for keeping the fritters warm, I roasted some roma tomatoes, mushrooms and whole tinned baby beets. So my stack was fritter, baby spinach, roma tomato, fritter, baby spinach, bacon, fritter. Then I secured the stack with a bamboo skewer threaded through a piece of bacon and some more tomatoes. Mr Cool was pretty impressed!
  • These would make a great breakfast with bacon and eggs.
  • You could make tiny ones and serve them with cream cheese, salmon and dill.
  • These also dress up a dinner that calls for sausages (which does happen when you have children *sigh*).

Variations: 

  • You could add any grated vegetable you like, potato, pumpkin, or even toss in some frozen peas 
  • You could also toss in some left over corned meat, salmon or ham (or serve these on the side)
  • You could add cheese - cheese and eggs is a divine combination

I found the original recipe here....





No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenting is the COOLEST thing you can ever do.... If you want to be truly cool - leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...