Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Write on Wednesday - Songbird

I am linking up again with inkpaperpen for 'Write on Wednesday'...

Today's exercise (as written below) was to write a fictitious piece about the meaning behind a song. Instead of going through my favourite songs of all time, I thought I would write about the song that was currently playing in our house. Mr Cool was being the DJ and the song 'Little Miss Can't Be Wrong' was playing. 

This song reminds me of driving around with Mr Cool in his newly restored Maroon 1982 Gemini in the 90s. The stereo pumping, wind blowing through my blonde hair and holding my cute boyfriend's hand. They were heady days. This song also reminds me of a flat mate I once had. She was a bit like this... 

Write On Wednesdays Exercise 16:
Hadge says:  Take a favorite (or even random play) song and write the story behind the lyrics, not something inspired by the lyric, but the flesh on the bones of the story. It gives lots of scope for interpretative writing. Use the lyrics or theme of a song  for a piece of flash fiction (50 to 200 words). To clarify, write your version of the story behind the lyrics in a song


Spin Doctors - Little Miss Can't Be Wrong




When the red lights of Tina's ute were gone. When the dust settled back on the dirt road after her lead footed exit. When Red finally raised his head from his hands to see that he was finally alone, he sighed. Their latest argument still rang clear in his ears. Tina just couldn't accept that she had been wrong, again. 

He knew he should have been sad. He knew this was the end of something that had started out so well. He thought it would be forever. But these past months, Tina had been impossible to live with. Walking on egg shells was an understatement. Red's friends could not believe he had stuck it out so long. 

As Red stood to go back into the house, the rain started to fall. Red stepped out from the verandah and welcomed the rain on his face. Heavy drops of water fell, washing the dust from the dry, wind swept land. With arms flung wide, Red began to dance. Feet kicking through the puddles, gleefully spinning circles in the mud. Red was laughing as he danced and danced until the rain ended. Ain't nobody gonna bow no more when she sounded her gong. 



9 comments:

Car said...

Great piece! I loved your descriptions in the last paragraph and I could imagine him standing there, letting it all wash away.

Givinya De Elba said...

Good writing! And I remember Mr Cool's Gemini!

B said...

Thanks for the feedback. I wish I had been proofreading more and not feeding BabyCool so many biscuits - there are some errors in the piece... Sigh. It is all learning. A fun exercise.

Givenya - if you remember the Gemini, I can only assume you know the flat mate mentioned. Dang. She really wasn't that bad, I never knew what happened to that friendship. Perhaps it was my annoying habit of falling asleep every 20 minutes. That was a bad year for many reasons. Sigh.

CraftyMummy said...

The song gave me a little pick me up this morning over breakfast - thanks!

I love the writing too. I love your style. And I can't pick the errors. But I still can't picture you with blond hair - even though I've seen a picture. You're just not blond in my head!

Eloise said...

lol, this is so funny because almost every piece I have read from WOW could have been written about my life (particularly your 2nd paragraph lol). Maybe i need to go out and dance in the rain a bit :) Loved what you wrote B x

B said...

Thanks girs! I am having an 'I am tired and feel rubbish' day - your comments were just what I needed.

Now to head on over to Ms Eloise's Write for Wednesday piece.....

sars! said...

takin me to the way back. Love it! Great Piece!

spring days, new growth said...

great sense of person, emotion and place. how relieved is this guy! great

B said...

Hmmm - the rain has just started... I could do with some dancin' in the rain today!

Post a Comment

Commenting is the COOLEST thing you can ever do.... If you want to be truly cool - leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...