The Coolest .... I have ever seen
Last night I had to call an ambulance. BabyCool burnt his hands and feet with some really hot water. I had decided that the mopping just HAD to be done at 6pm at night. I used really really hot, close to boiling water {so it would dry really quickly}. BabyCool was being entertained by his sisters in another room. I had shut the door - or so I thought. BabyCool pushed the door open, crawled in, saw the bucket and decided to use it to help him stand up. Accident.
I am realising, that the details just don't matter. It was an accident. These things happen.
I am having an almost anti-adrenaline rush today which has left me tired, emotional and feeling so stoooopid. But I am so so grateful.
- I am grateful that I live in a country where we have fresh running water in our house with which to bathe burns
- I am so thankful to have an ambulance service with staff so thoughtful and kind and who work quickly and efficiently and who then stay with an upset baby and mum those few moments longer than they are required to
- I am thankful for understanding, kind nurses and doctors who see a need and work fast to ensure that a little baby with burns is comfortable and not in pain
- I am blessed to be in a country where nurses are trained to care and to be personable and who give comfort to a mum who is feeling awful that her dear boy has been hurt
- I am in awe of technology that allows a doctor in my town to take a photo of red blistered feet, email them to a burns specialist in a bigger town and get advice on the best care for our baby boy
- I am so amazed by friends and family who are so willing to help in any way they can, from lending cars, minding sleeping children, to prayer, to delivering of Kindles and dry clothes, to offers of food and company
- I am so thankful for medical technology that allows big burns to little feet to be covered up and protected by no less than silver embedded dressings
What I am most grateful for today is my dear baby boy who has woken up happy and full of life, despite having bandaged hands and feet. His smile, his cuddles and his giggles are the best thing he could have done for his mum who has a sore heavy heart today.
And the bear? Somewhere out there is someone who has sat down to knit a bear. A bear that they donated to the Red Cross. That bear was then given to the Ambulance Service. Then it was given to my very scared and struggling baby boy in the back of an Ambulance. The Ambulance officer tried to cheer up BabyCool with the bear, but he was just too distressed to appreciate the toy.
This morning however, there were special cuddles and special giggles for the Red Cross Bear. I am grateful for the lovely person who knew that at a time when a child is most scared, that they might need a cuddly toy.
Life is Cool. Love it. Live it. Share it.


9 comments:
Oh, I recognise that pattern! Teddies for Tragedies (www.teddiesfortragedies.org.uk) has taken the Aussie Red Cross's pattern for Trauma Teddies and turned it worldwide. We've been looking at doing something similar with our Brownie Guides ("similar" because we cannot face teaching 7yo's a pretty complex pattern!)
It's such a great idea :) and I'm very, very glad that BabyCool was giggling with his new bear this morning.
I find myself teary ready this! I am so Glad that baby cool is doing well! And that you are holding up well too:) lots of love and prayer xoxoxox
Hang in there, these things happen. He looked so happy (and adorable) this morning, I'm just hoping that you hold up okay and the adrenaline & anti-adrenaline stages even out soon.
So glad he's on the mend.
We have one of those bears also. J got it when he was a wee one and had a tube stuck down his nose and throat thanks to an un-immunised child coming to playgroup with whooping cough. My unlucky child managed to pick it up even though he was immunised.
I think those little bears bless the mother's as much as the children. To know their are people out there knitting bears with love, just to soothe sick and hurting children.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one getting teary as I read!
I'm relieved that you got the fab nurses and doctors who comforted and cared for you as well as BabyCool.
So many positives in a sad little story. Hope you are feeling better B and little M is as well. Thinking of you and the lovely teddy makers....hope they know hoe special they are too.
Thanks lovely friends! It was a bit of a drama - but could have been SOOOOO much worse. We have decided to send the Red Cross a photo of BabyCool with his 'trauma teddy' {thanks UK Kirsty} and a donation. Such a comfort and hard to know how to thank all the lovely people who helped. May as well start with them!
BabyCool is a little worse for ware today - very sad and sorry, he just wants to play. I am feeling a bit better. I have spoken to a few people over the last 48 hours, there are far worse burn stories out there! And everyone has one! According to a few nurse friends, I did everything right {except using really hot water :0)}
argggh, I just wrote a really long comment and its been eaten.....in short, I hope your okay, I hope BabyCool is okay, it must have been horrible, thank god for quick help and nice doctors & nurses & ambos.
On the subject of the bear, Im imagining a little old lady in a nursing home somewhere filling in her days knitting soft bears because it makes her feel like she has a purpose, which makes her happy, which makes BabyCool happy, so yes, that is one very cool bear!
@ Eloise... It is cool huh. I think I am imagining the same little old lady somewhere. I am so going to learn how to knit now, so that when I am an old lady sitting in a nursing home, I too can knit some bears. We can't decide whether to call the bear 'Tatt' after all the tattoos the ambo had, or 'Burnie' after the nasty injury BabyCool endured....
Post a Comment
Commenting is the COOLEST thing you can ever do.... If you want to be truly cool - leave a comment!