Spring = Picnics
Don't you just love Spring!? The buds on the trees are beginning to appear, the sky is that amazing bright blue, the sun is warm, you can almost smell earth warming. It means summer is just around the bend too, so lots of barbecues and parties with friends. It has been a long and dreary winter this year. Spring/summer is going to be great!
Last week one of my gal pals asked for some tips on what to pack for a picnic. I amazed myself at the list of things I was able to put together for her... So, I thought I would share some with all of you. Let's go by country...
English
Sweet: Strawberries, apples, jam tarts, Victoria Sponge
Savoury: bread, sharp cheese, chutney, pickled onions
Drink: Pimms, elderflower cordial, tea
Think: hillside, long green grass, trees, kites, croquet
Italian
Sweet: watermelon, oranges, tiny tiramisu
Savoury: focaccia, feta cheese, a variety of Olives, proscuioto, cherry tomatoes, basil leaves
Drink: heady red wine, chinnotto
Think: lush forest edge, over looking water, bocce
French
Sweet: strawberries, grapes, apple tarts, macaroons
Savoury: baguette, brie, pate, quince paste
Drink: champagne, flavoured mineral waters
Think: inner city park, people watching, French cricket
Australian
Sweet: watermelon, strawberries, lamingtons, scones
Savoury: mini quiches, mini hamburgers, crisps
Drink: beer, coca-cola, lemonade
Don't forget to pack:
a rug
sunscreen
napkins
bags to bring your dirty dishes home in
a bottle opener
Enjoy the sunshine! I am off to plan as many picnics as I can...






5 comments:
I now want to pack a picnic!! I have a huge fetish for all thing French so I think that one will be my pick.
Great post and I am ready for a spring picnic
What an inspiring - and hunger inducing - post. Definitely going to have to take some pointers from you and pack a picnic soon.
Thanks for stopping by ladies!
We are off on a picnic today. I am ashamed to say it will be a sandwiches and crisps kind of lunch for us as we are going to walk to the park and can't fit very many fancy things in the pram. Never mind, the friends and the great outdoors will make it all worth it.
And despite the smoke...we are headed to the beach for our picnic. Just sent the boys to the shops for supplies THEN read this post. Will have to go back coz I obviously need watermelon and crisps to make this a good lunch by the sea. Thanks B...like the pics too. Assuming they are from your many enjoyable picnics in exotic and romantic o/s destinations?!?!?!
I wish! Have a good picnic!
Post a Comment
Commenting is the COOLEST thing you can ever do.... If you want to be truly cool - leave a comment!