Sunday, July 10, 2011

How to Hug a Blogger - Part 2 of 3

So... in the last post about 'How to Hug a Blogger', you learnt how to become a follower. Here is a review in 41 seconds....




In tonight's post, you will learn how to read posts in few different ways...


1) Via Email: Would you like to get blog posts direct to your inbox? Well, it is so simple to do. Most blogs have a widget that looks like this:




This is simply a little program called 'FeedBurner', this program sends you the blog post in email form. All you have to do to receive these emails is literally insert your email address {again, no spam or junk}. You will get the posts quite soon after they are posted on the blog - it guarantees you don't miss out on the fantastic content on offer through your favourite blogs.


2)via Reader: Do you have a reader? You will know if you do... If you have gmail {which is powered by Google - remember in the last post I talked about Google Friend Connect?} this is an easy click of a tab and you can read your favourite blogs all in one place. It would look like this....




This is another program that puts all of your favourite blogs into one place making it a 'Feed' - a bit like a Twitter feed {which will be discussed later in the week}. RSS is the name of one of the programs that does this {the other is called Atom - oh see those bubbles floating up? I am getting out of my depth!} - so you might see a widget that looks like this:

I have literally just inserted the gadget below, you can choose how you would like to receive blogs and to whichever reader you choose to use... This helps those of you who might be Yahoo! fans, or who use AOL or... other reader using folks...




I don't know if it showed up in the picture of my reader above, but I have around 600 things stored in my reader... I am a bit old school, I like to actually go to the blogs I like and read the posts there. It seems a bit more 'writery' to do this. I literally have a little hand written list of blogs I 'follow' and comment on.


So, my blogging students, these are the blogging terms* you have learnt so far {in no logical order}...
Blog: an online journal, log or diary
Blogging: the fine art of writing a blog
Blogger: a creative soul who likes to blog
Search Engine: the way the internet is navigated, Google, Yahoo! etc....
Post: a single blog entry
Follow: to sign up to a blog saying, "I think you rock, I want you in my life"
Follower: a lovely person who likes to show support to a blogger
Spam: Nasty stuff - canned or fresh, no-one wants Spam in their inbox or in food
Comment: a thought or response about a blog post
Program: a string of letters and numbers and <>. These things {programs} do very cool things making the internet a much more interactive place to hang out
Gadget: a little program that works like a widget - even wikepedia can't tell the difference between a Gadget and a Widget... {Head Hurting}
Widget: a little program that is a link that does something tricky like searching through a blog or linking to another program like flickr (photo sharing through Yahoo!), facebook, other blogs etc
Feed: a whole run of things you subscribe to, all in one glorious place through a reader
Reader: a program that puts all the blogs you 'follow' into one place so you can go to blog nirvana and enjoy all your favourite blogs without getting RSI from clicking onto web pages


* I made these definitions up, they are as accurate as I need them to be - they make sense to me this way - as soon as someone uses techy terms like HTML or URL or similar, my eyes glass over. I really don't know the actual difference between a Widget and a Wot Wot, my agent takes care of all that...






Mr Cool really knows the way to a Blogger's heart.... He bought me flowers the other night, it has been a tough week - hormones and sleep deprivation do not make for a happy B. Well done Mr Cool!  How can a girl stay grumpy when her handsome husband walks in with a beautiful bunch of red roses? Not me!


The final post in this series will be about how sharing is fun, expect it next week. I will also send you some links to some blogs I read....


So, have you hugged a blogger lately?



3 comments:

CraftyMummy said...

Love the post but really love the flowers. Maybe Mr Cool could drop the hint to Crafty Daddy?

Kirsty VI said...

not only love the flowers but love the framing and look of the pics of flowers. how did you do that please Mrs B Blogger? Thanks for the most informative post btw:)

B said...

Ah, you need Picasa. It is a free download photo thingie program. It makes the collages. Go to thecraftymummy.com for some tips on how to use it. It does take a bit of fiddling to get the hang of it, but very worth it. I use the collage function HEAPS! You can then print these out as normal sized photos - imagine how much time that would save when scrapbooking!

Post a Comment

Commenting is the COOLEST thing you can ever do.... If you want to be truly cool - leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...