Friday, July 22, 2011

Friday Food: Corned Meat in Ginger Ale




I thought that on Fridays I would post a recipe... 


So - due to popular demand {and graciousness from other friends who want to post this recipe on THIER blogs but are patiently waiting for me to post it so that they can repost it} I thought I would start off with my Slow Cooker Corned Beef...

The idea of the 'Friends Who Cook' blog started when dear Anna asked around for slow cooker recipes. CraftyMummy then came up with the fabulous idea of starting a blog. So when people say, "Why that is the most delicious {insert baked goodie here}I have ever eaten in my whole entire life! Where oh where can I get the recipe?" You could say, "Why darling, click on over to 'Friends Who Cook' and you will see."  

So... do you have a recipe worth sharing? Feel free to email it to me with a photo and a  bit of a story and the step by step instructions and we will pop it on the blog and you will be world famous! Cool huh?

You can email recipes to...
bbeingcool@gmail.com


B's Slow Cooker Corned Meat in Ginger Ale


I read a similar recipe to this one ages and ages ago. Mr Cool just loves corned meat, so I thought it might be fun to try this version.... It is quick, easy and oh so tasty! It has become a family favourite, my girls get so excited about it - which is nice given I have quite a fussy 3 year old.

I apologise for the photo, I have made this dish several times with the intent on taking a photo, but in the thrill of the moment, I forget. But, isn't an empty plate a cook's dream come true?

Prep time: Under 10 minutes
Cooking time: 6-8 hours in the slow cooker
Serves: 6-8


Ingredients:


Corned Meat - I usually buy a piece that is around 1.5kg. This guarantees some leftovers.
1 X 1.25L bottle of Ginger Ale
1 Tablespoon of Wholegrain mustard
2 Onions peeled and cut in half top to bottom


Method:
  1. Put the corned meat into the slow cooker
  2. Pour in the Ginger Ale, put in the mustard and add the onions. Give the liquid a quick stir.
  3. Turn on the slow cooker on low and walk away for about 8 hours!
To Serve:
  • A white sauce is essential for this meal
  • Potatoes - either crispy baked potatoes or creamy mash
  • Vegetables - I love cauliflower with corned meat {and white sauce}, but also great with tender green beans, carrots etc...
  • We love to eat the onions on the side, they are juicy and tasty
  • You can also put potatoes and carrots into the slow cooker 4-6 hours before you eat, for tender tasty vegetables


Variations: 
  • I have also used apple juice and water, 1tbsp balsamic vinegar and onions with the corned meat
  • I have used water, 1tbsp honey, 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard, 1 tbs balsamic vinegar and onions
  • I have often wondered how it would work with Ginger Beer...




Submitted by

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

So yummy. I'll direct all who ask your way!

Post a Comment

Commenting is the COOLEST thing you can ever do.... If you want to be truly cool - leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...