Monday, August 15, 2011

Cool On The Street: Shoes

I was out and about the other day with some of my friends and noticed some truly great shoes on some truly great feet.  As usual, these shoes have a story... 


Vintage Red Dorothy Shoes



Wearer: Mrs Crochets-Walks-&-Talks


Aren't these shoes just so cute!? They caught everyone's eye the other day. They are shiny, red, Mary Jane's with a square toe and heel. The wearer was saying how much she likes wearing them as they are comfortable and improve her posture. She was telling us {and I had to agree} that they make her look slimmer because they added height.


The shoes were bought in an Op-shop for $4 - what a bargain! What a find!


How to wear them...
Mrs Crochets-Walks-&-Talks wore them with long wide legged Esprit jeans {oh so IN this season}, a white long sleeved t-shirt with a black vest over the top. In her sleek funky auburn bob, she wore a vintage looking ribbon, lace and flower head band. She looked great.


These shoes would also look fabulous with a wrap-around dress in black or dark grey. It would be hard to find a red dress to match given the colour being so unusual. But, finding a black dress and adding deep red accessories would be a bit more do-able.


Mrs Crochet-Walks-&-Talks has made BabyCool some dead cute shoes. I decided to give them their own blog post. So check back in later in the week to see those!


Converse Allstar Merrimekkos





The wearer: Mrs Amazing


You may remember how much I love Converse sneakers. Aren't these ones just so cool!?  Chuck Taylor Merrimekkos are known for their funky designs, it is very fitting that this design was developed in Scandinavia -  Mrs Amazing has some great tales of living in that region {and some interesting stories of communal showering}.


Mrs Amazing is married to a journo who, lately, has had to travel around for work. This leaves Mrs Amazing to fend for two adorable poppets, plus working lots of hours doing lots of amazing things. So... when Mrs Amazing's husband returns home from his work trips {to areas where there is great shopping and karaoke} he comes bearing gifts. These gifts are sneakers. He says sneakers are his Love Language; the way he shows his true undying love for his wife. Mrs Amazing also has a darling pair of shiny dark purple chucks too. They too are worth coveting. 


These shoes ain't vintage like Mrs Crochets-Walks-&-Talks, these shoes have there own website baby... you can check it out here.  Merrimekko Converse


How to wear them...
These are shoes to be worn with great jeans or relaxed fit trousers {made from drill for example}. Which of course, Mrs Amazing does. Team them with long sleeve t-shirts and scarves, and/or funky cardigans or trench coats in Winter. In Summer, team them with jeans and t-shirts. 


They are a classic shoe with a very funky design, so you needn't think you have to go over the top with loads more colour and/or patterns elsewhere. Wearing them with shorts or denim skirts is a bit of a no-no - you would be better off wearing lower cut ones, even then, ponder thoughtfully.

I would love to take more photos of cool things I see... It easy when I have such cool friends. One day, I may have to be brave enough to photograph cool things out in the big wide world!Eeek!


So... are you a vintage shoe or a Chucks kinda person?







5 comments:

Givinya De Elba said...

2 adorable pairs of shoes on the feet of 2 wonderful women - I recognise their style (and the tiles and carpet against which you took the pics.)

On the red shoes, I have to say that Mary Janes have never caught my attention as being particularly cool at all, but look what a heel can do for them! I love the look, and the red just adds that touch of fun! I would definitely wear those sensational shoes.

Sneakers are how I get things done. When I'm in slippers, I feel all sloppy and like I want to sit in a couch all day. In boots I feel dressy, but not particularly active. But when I put sneakers on (and those above are gorgeous!) I feel active and I tend to get stuck into housework, work-work, child-minding, kids ministry, whatever it is I'm doing. They must be a special sort of Productivity Shoe, for me.

B said...

Thanks for you insight. I do see you as a sneaker kind of gal. You are cute, cool and ready for action.

Thank you for also spelling 'heel' correctly. I will go and fix up that typo now - shame on me!

B said...

And then I did another typo.... Oh, I give up. I need to be away from my computer for a while tonight. I know! I will do the ironing instead - no typing or thinking required there.... Yay for me!

Caitlin said...

I used to love wearing the big chunky heels. You had the added height, without feeling that you were going to topple over at any moment. Then I wore what I thought were my ultra cool knee hi patent black boots with a chunky heel on the London underground, and got far too many 'looks', and you know when they are not admiring looks. Chunky heels were so out back then. (I came to realise this somewhere in between High Street Kensington and Bayswater) By the time I did the return trip home, my confidence was in tatters and the shoes were deposited in the bin. Unfortunately it's destroyed my ability to wear chunky heels at all anymore, even if vintage is in these days. Sigh. Because I did so love those heels.

B said...

Oh dear - what a shame about those boots! I always felt like a total dag when I lived in London... Oh, if I had my time again. Being 3 sizes smaller now than I was then - I think I would have had the most amazing wardrobe. So - possibly best that I wasn't I suppose.

Post a Comment

Commenting is the COOLEST thing you can ever do.... If you want to be truly cool - leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...