Monday, August 1, 2011

Life is Cool - Dear {Skinny} B

Dear Skinny B,


I know you remember me, it has been a little while since we have crossed paths but I feel the need to contact you again. I noticed the other day that you have put on another few hundred grams. This worries me.


You may remember we first met when you were only just married. You and Mr Cool enjoyed setting up house and also enjoyed eating lots of puddings and things. It was okay for Mr Cool who was into cycling, but you, you were into sitting and reading.


At first, our meetings were not acknowledged. You pretended I didn't exist. You would see that I was standing in the mirror looking back at you, at times it made you upset, but you then just blocked me out. I didn't mind, I hoped that one day you would be able to see me and talk to me properly.


Over time you saw more and more of me. I started to take over. I stopped you from swimming in summer. I stopped you from enjoying living near one of the world's most beautiful beaches because you just couldn't find groovy clothes to fit. Remember trying to find board shorts in Noosa? That was not fun for you at all.


When you moved to London, it was me who was uncomfortable walking through the city and up the steps of St Paul's cathedral. Thankfully, for a time you had to walk so much to get to work that I started to fade into the background again. You were eating better, you were also so stressed out that you didn't eat all that much. And then, you got comfortable again. You found a good school and settled down. You would eat curries and cakes and chips - all these things were literally on your door step. You really ate your way through Europe.


I enjoyed the journey, but I know you found it hard. I remember the anguish you went through when you had to buy new clothes. I know you really love clothes. You would rather have less clothes of good quality than lots of cheaper clothes, but it was hard. Poor Mr Cool, there were many times he saw you walk out of change rooms crying. It was not fun. I wish I wasn't there.


So, why am I writing to you now? Well, back then you were only putting on a few hundred grams here and a few hundred grams there. No big deal in the grand scheme of things. But over years and years those few hundred grams here and there cost you dearly.


I want to remind you that you got rid of me a few years ago. Completely. You lost over 15kg of me. I was so happy for you! You got it. You worked out how to do it. You joined Weight Watchers. You started exercising. You then started RUNNING - oh my giddy aunt  - I was so so proud of you! You even ran a half marathon. In every one of the twenty-one kilometres you pushed me further and further away. I was pleased to go.


So, even though you have only put on a few hundred grams here and a few hundred grams there, I just want you to know that I am still here. I am a distant memory that I don't want you to remember. I don't want to resurface, I am happy to  lurk in the shadows of those photos you don't want people to see. I want you to remember some things for me....


1) You know what you should be eating. Just eat that stuff. Do not buy any more 'treats' even for the girls, they really don't need the kinds of things you have been buying


2) Write down what you eat - you know it works


3) Start exercising again. Those few hundred grams here and few hundred grams there can disappear really quickly. Remember it took years for me to surface, but in reality you were rid of me in a few months of focussed commitment


4) Remember the feeling of walking into stores and dreading trying on clothes only to then have to ask the sales assistant to get a smaller size? Take a moment to remember the look on your face in the mirror at that moment


5) Your motto for a while was - 'Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels' - remember?


I am hoping this letter reminds you that I am here, in the background. Don't make me come out and smack you in the face.


Yours Truly,
Fat B

1 comment:

Kirsty VI said...

A timely reminder for me...thanks heaps. I am determined to finish this block of chocolate (sharing it of course) then move on....I can do those things on your list. I WILL do those things on your list. Check on me in a week please??

Post a Comment

Commenting is the COOLEST thing you can ever do.... If you want to be truly cool - leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...