But....
I am beginning to understand cool - a bit...
A friend of mine has been struggling to find her coolness after having kids. She is GORGEOUS, has great hair, great skin and has such a great personality that people want to get to know her more. To me, she has so many things about her that are cool. But she just doesn't see it *sigh*....
Now, let me explain that cool is a combination of things. It is attitude, personality, life experience and then it is outward appearance. So, my dear friend has the first few things down pat. Her attitude is amazing - she will try anything and gives her heart to things that mean a lot to her. She has a great bubbly, quirky personality as previously mentioned. She has had a great deal of life experience from study to having babies to helping kids with stoopid names in some weird way out schools. Basically, I am proud to know her and learn more about grace and kindness every time I have a chat with her.
But still, she feels uncool. And I have surmised that it is her outward appearance she is struggling with. The other night I suggested she throw out (literally) every item of clothing that she either doesn't like, is really old or doesn't fit quite right - to which she said she would then be walking around naked (not cool in the 'dropping kids off to school' kind of set).
So, for my lovely locked friend, and anyone else out there who is trying to regain some cool, here are some things for you to think about that I have learnt over the past 10 years or so.... Get right back to basics and think through the following things....
- Determine what 'look' are you going for? Like; hippy, conservative, boho, biker, sporty, classic etc.
- Work out which colours suit you? Think about seasons such as; Summer = aqua, yellow, blues, oranges etc; Autumn = browns, greens, greys etc.
- What items in your wardrobe make you feel good? What items could you not live without? I could not live without jeans, t-shirts and shirt dresses....
- What are the best parts of your body are worth accentuating? I have a waste and I like my hair .... that is where I start every time I have to think about buying items for my wardrobe.
To become cool is about discovering yourself and then investing time into learning more about yourself and your style. Oh, and get your hands on anything written by Trinny & Susannah - a good place to start....
Here are some quotes to get you started on your 'Cool Quest'...
You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. What you'll discover will be wonderful. What you'll discover is yourself.
Alan Alda (I know that Alan Alda is Hawk-eye from M.A.S.H - but you know.....)
Alan Alda (I know that Alan Alda is Hawk-eye from M.A.S.H - but you know.....)
The most beautiful thing in the world is, precisely, the conjunction of learning and inspiration. Oh, the passion for research and the joy of discovery!
Wanda Landowska
May the cool force be with you.....
Coming up next time on bbeingcool - Rules for Shopping
Wanda Landowska
May the cool force be with you.....
Coming up next time on bbeingcool - Rules for Shopping
1 comment:
In my eyes you are totally cool! You always look fab, dress your kids in funky gear, express your thoughts, quirky or not and have fantastic taste in all things! I could go on and on.
Post a Comment
Commenting is the COOLEST thing you can ever do.... If you want to be truly cool - leave a comment!