Tuesday, April 26, 2011
Birkenstocks are hell cool
I love to research things, so after buying a pair of Birkenstocks, I found it fitting to start learning a bit more about them. Really, one should all know the history of one's footwear. For those new to these parts, I really like shoes... Converse and Havaianas are favs.
What I have learnt from my Googling is that while Captain Cook was sailing around the Eastern shores of Australia working out whether it was a good extended holiday place for Britain's crooks and nasty folk, a German by the name of Johann Adam Birkenstock was developing a revolutionary shoe, he registered as a "subject and shoemaker" in local church archives.
In 1902, Konrad Birkenstock, developed the first flexible arch support to be inserted in factory-made shoes. Shoes up until that point were pretty much made by hand and inserts seemed to be uncomfortable leather or even wooden wedges. However, it wasn't until 1964 that Karl Birkenstock further developed these factory made inserts and created what would become the famous Birkenstock sandal. Birks (as cool people call them) have been associated with hippies and alternate folks for decades. I am neither of these things but I have had a long fascination with them over the years. I have bought many many cheap imitations varying in price from $6 to $150 and conversions of these in Pounds and Euros also.
A month or so back, I ran into a particularly cool friend at the shops (now that I am a stay at home mum, I spend all my time at the shops - NOT!) . She mentioned her sore feet and said she was going to be ordering some Birkenstocks direct from Germany. Being a friend who appreciates sharing her cool, and her love for a good bargain, she sent me the link to the on-line store. Footshopping.com has a huge array of Birkenstocks and other German made shoes at fantastic prices. It is a shoe lovers nirvana - especially one who is NOT able to pop to the shops all the time to look at shoes willy nilly. I ordered some silver Gizeh Birks and ... my oh my... they are SOOOO comfortable. I wore them to Bookclub with my very cool new shirt-dress and Miss Cool Blogger said, "It looked like my feet were having a party!" How right she was!
Due to the popularity of my silver shiny shoes, my sister and I decided we would put together an order ourselves. We asked friends if they wanted some as the more shoes we ordered the less postage we had to pay. Eleven pairs of shoes later, most of my family are wearing Birkenstocks. My sister even has a pair of Birkenstock SLIPPERS! How cool.
This is what the Urban Dictionary says about Birkenstocks.... I have provided the link, but be warned people, although some of the example sentences are HILARIOUS - they are a tad naughty... I know that this will just make some of you click on over to Urban Dictionary straight away - but I felt you needed to be cautioned.
Birkenstocks:
Insanely comfortable shoes. Sandals or clogs are the typical occurence, however they do produce various other types. Worn by hippie and prep alike, lauded for their comfort by all. Everyone should own at least one pair.
Birkenstocks:
Sandals worn by liberals, women in Vermont, and for some unknown reason, evangelical youth pastors trying to appeal to young adherents of Christianity.
Birkenstocks:
Once known as ugly lesbian shoes, now the "cool" thing to wear.
Still ugly.
B's Review: Get yourself some, they are cool, they are comfortable and they can actually be worn with a lot of things! And honestly, what is wrong with looking like a German tourist?
Mwah,
B
2 comments:
Very interesting. Thanks for making me 'hell cool'. PS. Love your Cptn Cook line! ;-)
How very fitting that Caitlin had a comment! Her Great Grandfather was a shoe maker! Bet she hasn't thought that loving shoes is in her DNA.
Post a Comment
Commenting is the COOLEST thing you can ever do.... If you want to be truly cool - leave a comment!