Thanks to Friend #194 who asked a question that I thought I would attempt to answer in a blog post. In my post about "What is always cool", I mentioned Converse sneakers. Her question to me was whether it is just marketing that makes Cons cool - she asked what the difference between a K-mart remake and the real thing are in relation to their 'coolness'? I have been a-pondering.
I get what she is saying, sometimes wearing the right item can be enough. But, I have to say, that people care about brands, whether we like it or not. I had the privilege of heading off to school camp, (being pregnant in a sleeping bag is an interesting debacle...) I wore my silver Chucks and the kids noticed. Students who had never spoken to me before mentioned my shoes... Converse sneakers are cool right now. But here are my thoughts on Friend #194's questions...
Firstly, I have been reading quite a bit about style lately. I am sure it is uncool to go to the town library and seek out books on style, but that is where I found some great books filled with tidbits of advice on making a wardrobe timeless and functional. I also learnt a lot of hogwash about owning only certain items in certain shades, and how to store fox stoles - on fox, I say! But something rang out, you never regret buying quality, I have found this time and time again. I have been suckered by the sale rack at Target and bought zany fashion items for $3.44 because they were such a bargain, but these items were doomed to Lifeline from the time of impulsive purchase. On the other hand, there have been times when I have bitten the bullet and paid a wee bit more for a quality item, to then have something that lasts and lasts and stays in great condition for more than a season. I have had my Chucks for well over a year and they have been to Tonga and New Zealand, I wear them with shorts and jeans and they are still looking pretty new.
Secondly, I have also mentioned this before in older posts, cool things have a story. Converse began as an independent company, sometime around 1908, wanting to make a product that didn't follow the crowd but stayed true to its brand. During WWII they made shoes and apparel for American servicemen. They have redesigned their shoes many times and have been able to make basketball shoes a fashion accessory for basketball players, rock & roll stars, students, and of course, cool mums dropping kiddies off to school.
Thirdly, being individual is cool. Friend #286 has a pair of hand painted Pumas - cool because they are so unique (he is also cool by the way, not just his shoes). Friend #612 is cool because she loves op-shopping and wears a mini dress as a maternity skirt - she sees possibilities in things. Being an individual is something we all strive for and I can't help but wonder if buying imitations of things made by major corporations takes away some of the shoe's intended individualism. I think that there is a time and a place for quality, story and individualism. Some cool people out there wouldn't think Converse shoes fit this criteria. Does Converse tick all the cool boxes for you in this instance? Dunno, but for me, it does. I think they are cool.
"And there you have it - for now... The best stories are the ones that don't end - the ones you just keep adding to and adding to - all the while marveling at the creative, disruptive, optimistic, courageous ways things evolve from being what they were, to what they are, to what they will become." This is the final sentence from the 'Heritage' section on the Converse Website... Who wouldn't want to say this about their life? Cool, very cool.
Check out the Converse Website (its cool) at: Converse Aus/NZ
4 comments:
So Converse is cool... and I think Dr Seuss is kind of cool too... no?... so check out these Dr Seuss Converse that I found: http://lilmagoolie.com/2010/07/17/dr-suess-sneakers/
What do you think?
Well, yes these are very cool shoes - I think you and I know lots of people who would love these!
"...how to store fox stoles - on fox, I say!"
Oh this was great! Loved it!
If you're referring to me when you mean the friend that turned the mini dress into a maternity skirt -- then I may just disappoint you. I wear knock-off Converse shoes. They're red Dunlops that I bought from KMart for $15, over three years ago. I said to the husband tonight (as he took them off for me, since reaching my feet is getting painful) that I've worn them over 150 times, equating to 10c per wear. Is it cool for me to rate my clothing choices based on cost per wear? Anyway . Mine still look pretty fresh to me as well, and I'm going to keep on wearing them.
However, when the Year 8's ask me if they're real Converse, I always wish I could say, "Yes! Of course!"
Post a Comment
Commenting is the COOLEST thing you can ever do.... If you want to be truly cool - leave a comment!