Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Red, Black, Grey and White

I seem to always have full circle moments when I am left thinking, "Hey, I think I have been here before." Let me enlighten you on my rickety train of thought.

I have a five-year old daughter. She is so beautiful it can break your heart, long blonde hair, big brown eyes, rosy cheeks. She is a stunner. But, my oh my, can she talk, argue, whinge and excuse herself with an ever eloquent tongue. My mum is very understanding and gives great (if not whacky) advice, but I cannot speak ill of my five year old to her. Why? Because my dear old mum gives me 'The Look'. You know, 'The Look' with powers you receive only when your own children have had children? She looks at me with that withering, all knowing 'Look' that says, "Yup, you were exactly the same". Sigh, she is usually right. I did argue... A lot. Especially with my dear mum. About everything. A lot.

For example, when I was in pre-school (for reference sake I was nearly five) my mum and I had a war raging about one of the outfits I was assigned to wear for church. Mum had made me a black and white houndstooth checked, wrap around skirt, it was darling. But, the shirt she bought to match it was a red t-shirt. When Sunday approached, I would refuse to wear this outfit, insisting that my mum had no idea about what colours matched and that you COULD NOT wear black, red and white together. Me being small and my mum being older, I was forced against my will to wear this outfit, in fact, if one day you have the privilege of seeing my official pre-school class photo, you will see me wearing this outfit. I wore (possibly under force) a green frog necklace to finish the ensemble off. And flip flops - but I am not emotionally ready to discuss this yet.

At the time of writing this blog, I am pregnant. I think I have a cleverly assembled ensemble of clothes that can be mixed and matched to make several outfits. I have leggings, dresses, skirts and long sleeve shirts that all match. I have either made them or bought them in range of colours so as to maximise their flexibility. But, it wasn't until one of my dear year eight students pointed out an obvious trend, that I had my full circle moment. All of my maternity clothes are red, black, grey and white.... Full circle. How could I not have noticed that these are my favourite colours to wear? I herein dedicate this post to my mum, whose sense of what colours match far outshines that of a five year old.

Huh, look left, then look right, check out the colours I chose for my blog. Funny.....

2 comments:

CraftyMummy said...

That's so great! I can just imagine the argument at 5 yrs old - we have those kind of arguments here all the time! Hope you emailed this one to your mum...

Givinya De Elba said...

Yeah - I was just thinking, "But your BLOG is red/grey/black/white!"

You always look so stylish. I meant to tell you that this morning, but we got chatting about something else.

Post a Comment

Commenting is the COOLEST thing you can ever do.... If you want to be truly cool - leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...